Sep 21, 2010

A mid week jaunt to Castle Hill Peak

I had a post earthquake day off last Wednesday, kindly given to me by my boss for not running screaming from the building the previous week, when the largest aftershock caused it, and those of us in it, more than a little (dis)stress.

It was a perfect opportunity to walk out to Castle Hill Peak from Porters Pass. There was a fresh sprinkling of snow on the ascent, and being mid week I had the place to myself. I took the skis and had the first chance to use them for a little run coming off the back of Foggy Peak.



Then it was a long traverse out to Castle Hill Peak itself, looking fairly serious from a distance, but not anywhere near as difficult when you get to it.









By the time I reached the top, the weather was perfect and I managed to stop for a brief lunch break on the summit, just out of the wind enough to avoid freezing various body parts. There are fabulous views on both sides from here – back down to the Canterbury Plains and also across to the Craigieburn Ranges.



The return trip was just as much fun, with more skiing on the way down, at least as far as Foggy Peak, below that the snow rapidly turned to snow covered rocks, so that put pay to any more skiing for the day






No comments:

Post a Comment